Importing Valuables into Australia
If you are coming as a permanent resident, you can bring pre-owned items of value into Australia tax/duty free. However, conditions may apply.
If you have kept the receipts of purchase, you should bring them.
Allowable valuables include the following:
- jewellery (e.g. wedding rings, necklaces, earrings, etc)
- antiques and family heirlooms
- works of art
- Valuables should be assessed by professional valuers in your country of origin.
- Don't forget to insure the items against loss or damage during shipping.
- You must apply for a permit to import works of art, archaeological items, and heritage-listed pieces into Australia. Consult the Australian Customs and Border Protection website for more information.
- There is no limit to the amount of foreign currency you can bring into Australia. However, amounts over A$10,000 must be declared.