Follow Us On: Prepare for Australia on Facebook Prepare for Australia on Twitter
Share this page:

Working Holiday Visa

working-holiday-417For many migrants, the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa program has been extensively used over the past number of years as a gateway into Australia.  The purpose of this program is to encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment, with a focus on regional Australia.

Applying for a 417 visa

To apply, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, or United Kingdom.

If you are from Chile, Thailand, Turkey or USA, you can apply for the similar Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).


Working Holiday visa applicants must be between 18 and 30 years old (inclusive) at time of applying. However, the age limit may be higher at the time the visa is granted. For example, a person may lodge their Working Holiday visa application when they are 30 years old, but can still be granted that visa after they have turned 31 years.

If you are outside Australia when your Working Holiday visa is granted, you must enter Australia within 12 months after the date of grant of the visa. This temporary visa permits you to travel to, enter and remain in Australia until 12 months after the date of first entry to Australia. With this visa, you may leave and return to Australia as many times as you like while the visa is still active. You may also study for four months.


Second Working Holiday visa

It may be extended for a further 12 months if the applicant carries out three months of ‘specified work’ in regional Australia whilst on their first Working Holiday visa. Three months is taken to mean 88 days, which is the shortest possible combination of months in a calendar year.

Under the terms of the Working Holiday visa condition 8547, Working Holiday visa holders are permitted to work for up to 6 months with each employer. Persons whose intention is to work with any employer for more than 6 months should apply for a more appropriate visa, such as a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) visa.  However, should you be granted a second 417 visa, you may work for the same employer again for another six months.


Learn more about the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa.

Thank you to Ruth Mulhern of One Stop Visas Pty Ltd for this article.