Follow Us On: Prepare for Australia on Facebook Prepare for Australia on Twitter
Share this page:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

OSHCIn order to qualify for your student visa, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).


This cover protects you if you are sick or you have an accident while you are a student in the country.


You will receive the same basic medical assistance that an Australian citizen receives under the government controlled Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS) including:


  • visiting a doctor
  • medical services such as x-rays and blood tests (for a minimal cost)
  • medical services in hospital
  • ambulance cover

Like any Australian, you may be required to pay ‘the gap’ on medical services which are above what the Medical Benefits Schedule pays the doctor. Learn more about bulk billing.

You can choose to purchase your OHSC directly from the provider, or through your agent or school. The agent or school does not give you a discount on this cover. The cover averages between $480-580/year. It gives you protection for the most important thing you have….your health!


The biggest providers of OSHC are Allianz and Bupa.